Friday, January 9, 2009

But He's Just a Boy

I'm fighting ennui with eyeliner.

Adjusting to this new lifestyle is proving to me why older women typically have a great affinity for make-up. I never really thought about how adding some lipstick to the mix would affect my mood until I became a walking cafeteria; now, I'm trying to convince myself that beauty is better than a few extra minutes of sleep. It's a work in progress.

*******

This is the last day of Caleb's first week back at school. It also being the first week of Grandma's pelvic healing process made for a hectic week for me. I'm trying to convey to everyone I talk to how incredibly looney I'm becoming and how I'm basically losing my marbles, but apparently that is not an atypical response to first-time motherhood. I was kind of hoping for the lost-in-my-baby's-eyes kind of blissful love, but instead I am alternating between the this-is-my-life-now panic and I-can-do-this-even-though-I'm-completely-in-over-my-head determination. Of course,  there is the melting kind of love mixed in, as well; it's just not in as large of portions as I'd like.

And all through this, Caleb's been working, schooling, 2 a.m. waking. He's a superstar at this parenting thing.

********

Julie gave me a Michael Phelps calendar for Christmas. He is so dreamy, in a goofy way.

2 comments:

Zotz said...

Okay, so the walking cafateria is a total crack up. You are a great mommy. And you are very lucky to have Julie as a sister...and that she thinks about Mr. Phelps in your behalf!

Julie said...

Thanks for the shout out! You're always beautiful to me, and I'm glad we got to come and play yesterday. Again! Lets do it again!